Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Scrappy Star Mini Quilt and Portland Weekend

Hi! It's been a while, huh?

I took an extended summer break while we were lucky enough to take several little vacations over the past couple months. Plus, it's been a beautiful summer here. Who can sit behind the computer and blog when it's 75 in July?

But I have been sewing a lot, and I think I'm finally ready to get back into the blogging habit. Because I like sharing with you guys here. Or maybe I just like being able to blather on about the gritty details of sewing that no one else really cares about. Either way, we have a lot to catch up on.




So one trip I took since you've seen me last was a weekend in Portland. I went by myself to meet and hang out with Kristin! Yup, me and my long-time bloggy partner in crime, together in the flesh- FINALLY!

I decided to bring Kristin a handmade gift to show her how grateful I was for putting me up all weekend and dragging me all over Portland. Seriously, she was the best tour guide. I don't think we could have packed any more good Portland food and fabric into the two full days I was there.





This mini quilt began as just the center star block, which was actually made for another scrappy quilt I'm working on. But Kristin expressed affection for this star on Instagram, so I decided to swipe it from that quilt. I added three more borders to it, one of which is scrappy half-square triangles made with dark and light fabrics picked to coordinate with the feel of the colors in the star. I'm not sure what to call the color story in this mini... Warm cosmos? Earthy deep space? I don't know, but I like it. 





The quilting might be my favorite part of this. I don't know why I've never tried this spiral/ concentric circles style. I just started in the center and used the width of my walking foot as a guide. It was pretty easy on a quilt this size and I love the effect.  Totally hypnotic. 





On the back, I had to sneak in a little piece of Film Petit memorabilia. The ferris wheel is fabric leftover from the lining of Elsie's coat in the Hitchcock edition. I was happy that I  remembered to add little hanging pockets in the corners, I never remember that for wall hangings. I bound it by machine with the same fabric as the final border on the front, from Lizzy House's Constellations, from Sewn Studio.





I think the quilt ended up about 24" square, and now it's hanging in Kristin's sewing room. Which I've been to!




(picture swiped from Kristin of course. I was too busy laughing with a gaping mouth to take any pictures.)


It was sooooooo good to finally get some time with this girl. She inspires me in a lot of ways. And maybe my friends and family won't think it's so weird any more that I'm constantly texting my internet girlfriend, because now we've met in real life :)






14 comments:

  1. I love love this mini! the colors are just so perfect. :) so glad you guys got to meet up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini is awesome and generally speaking, I really don't like minis! Love it, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!! Can't blame you for not wanting to blog during this AMAZING weather but I missed you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that quilt. There's something about it that works perfectly.
    And hooray for your visit! I was excited and mega jealous when I heard you were going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just ridiculously talented. I absolutely love this! And what a nice friend you are, too! (Also, what is that ferris wheel fabric!??!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you two are awesome for developing such a close friendship over the interwebs. Love the tiny triangle border on that quilt. There's proof of your love ;) Keep on enjoying summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! You've got such a great eye and creativity and imagination - there's just so much going on in terms of prints, but somehow it's so well balanced and nice to look at. Love it! Glad you had a good time in Portlandia. Hope the three of us can hang out one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that you came to visit, and i loooooove my quilt! it's so inspiring, i notice something new about it every time i see it. it's really marvelous. thank you so much again for coming, buddy! it was truly a pleasure meeting in real life. let's do it again sometime, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I *really* love the dark constellation print binding matching your outside border. And the quilting goes so perfectly with the backing print you have, it's a shame that part will be against a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love the colors in this mini, it's so beautiful!! I was excited myself when I saw that the two of you were meeting. I adore you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so completely gorgeous! The colors and quilting work perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful quilt! I'd have never thought of the circular quilting - but it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you guys are adorable. and that mini quilt is GORG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mini is freaking awesome! I think earthy deep space is a great name for the palette. Weird and good. And yay for meeting your internet girlfriend! It's so amazing to meet internet peeps, especially the ones who inspire you everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.