Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stenciled Toy Box

I bought this toy box for H a while back at Ikea, but it was plain white.

Here is the before, with ALL the toys taken out. (He will ignore the toys until I start to put them in, then he suddenly wants them out. It's a fun game.)

Today I decided to personalize it a little using contact paper stencils. I just traced the letters and designs I wanted right off of my computer screen onto paper, then taped that paper over contact paper onto my cutting mat, and cut through both layers with an exacto knife. It's very simple to make a stencil for anything this way, as long as you make sure you put the sticky side of the contact paper down (which I didn't remember the first time, so I had to cut out his whole name over again. Oops.)

Here's the simple outcome...


I used acrylic paint and it did bleed under a bit, but it actually gives it this really cool distressed effect that I love. And the swipe of the sponge brush almost looks like wood grain.

I got the fox shape here. It's a papercutting blog with lots of really cool templates. Papercutting is on my very, very long list of things to try. Anyone trying any new crafts lately?

5 comments:

  1. This is SO cute!! I love it. I like the fox too...not the typical bear or bunny...you think outside the box!

    Oh and I've been meaning to tell you, I love that you named your son Hendrix. That is such fun name...is there a story behind it, or are you just awesomely creative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is what i need to do with isaac's plain white toy box! thanks! i won't copy exactly, though, i do like the font. by the way, i need your address to send you something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Not sure how you did the paint, but I love the effect. I am about to quilt, I have fabric laid out on the table, cut and just put together so I can see how I like it and I think it's good, wish you could look at it with me and tell me what you think. Love the picture of my precious Grandson, wish I was there to play with all those toys with him!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.